Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1/27/09: 12:30pm

Here are my thoughts for now, followed by commentary... (Note: Slide 2 should say 1" of ice at the end of additional accumulation)...




This is a very interesting ice storm setting up over our area. This massive area of freezing rain extends from Cincinnati to New Mexico...and it's all heading towards our area. If this area of freezing rain intensifies more, our ice totals will be MUCH higher. Some areas could see 2" of ice accumulation if that occurs, with isolated 3" ice amounts not out of the question. The main concern would be the temperature. If it cools more quickly than expected tonight, there will be more snow. However, if it stays warmer there will be more ice.
I expect that southern Indiana/north central Kentucky will see a change over to snow around midnight. There will be about 8 hours of snow that will be heavy at times. I expect some more snow accumulations, especially along and north of the Ohio River.
I may be heading out of our house, because we have no backup source of heat. If the power were to go out, we would be stuck here. We may flee to my grandmother's house in Louisville (which won't have much better conditions), because she has a kerosene heater. Stay tuned for more...I will have highspeed if we go to my grandma's...
Alex C.

No comments: